Our ideas so far are:
- When you change yourself, you change the world
- Awaken the activist in you
- Nurturing the change agent inside of you
- Putting theories of justice into action
- Antioch: When your vision for change can become our reality
- Bootcamp for the Revolution: Advocacy and Action!
7 comments:
I believe that as slogan entails the responsibility of living up to the statements made in the slogan. Therefore I would hesitate to put a slogan along with SAN. It may be confining, outdated easily and misleading. SAN is already a controversial name for this organization because how much action has the network of students actually done? I mean that the student body and the community are aware of. SAN has a presence just by its own name Student Action Network, to me that is self explanatory. It’s a Network of Student with the goal of action as their motto. Have we really lived up to that potential?
I'm just brainstorming about other possible alternatives. Perhaps the T-shirts could just say Student Action Network and the school logo somewhere. Or something along those lines so that we are not confined to a narrow slogan.
It takes months to come up with the right slogan in most advertising and media research companies. So I agree with Don Strauss, that perhaps the slogan is not the best bet. Plus unless you guys count alumni's votes it seems like you have already decided on what to put on the t-shirts as a slogan. So I’m not sure how this posting is going to contribute to the discussion but you allowed me in the blog and as most of you say, I have a lot of opinions.
I don't want to seem as if I'm invalidating all the great work you are doing. I just think that we have to look at the potential that this group has. Members may change, we have changed and moved onto other things already, most of the original group of SAN are graduating and I think it is a good time for reflection about the future of this organization.
A slogan implies the responsibility to live up to that slogan and that is a great responsibility that SAN may not be prepared to embark on yet. I believe that there is no real urgency on having a slogan.
Lets just keep this discussing going on a bit longer. I know you are in a rush for the T-shirts the meaning behind those t-shirts has historical implications if we look at the larger scope of things. That is one of the reasons our logo did not have a slogan at the beginning.
If you definitely need a slogan I would go with Michael Nee's Change yourself, change the world. There are many reasons why I believe personal change impacts world change. We don't really want to go around reminding people to 'Think Globally Act Locally' (it's got a trademark so we can't use that one).
I'm just alumni from the original cohort of students that started Fielding so that's why I direct my questions at them first. I am not disrespecting anyone else in the room.
I hope this comes acorss the way I want it to come accross. If not, I have no trouble with having differences of opinion. With me it is always possible to agree to disagree.
I look forward to hear what the original SAN cohort (Rebecca, Mark, Mindy, Tanya, later on Michael Nee, Flint and Michael Cassadine have to say about his) Plus of course the professors that have shown all their support to this project such as Andrea Richards, Bob Bowen and David Trip along with Don Strauss and Laura Barraclough. I may be missing someone but I have my archives somewhere at my place and will double check because chronology is useful in organizations.
I meant those students that started SAN not Fielding :)
And I meant it when I say I will surely check my archives to check the joining dates of all participants for the librarian to help store that information.
Well, I agree with Yeisie's comment. However, if SAN is determined to have a logo, I'd remove the Bootcamp for the Revolution bit and just leave it at "Advocacy and Action!". But I think SAN could stand well enough alone, if people learn to associate SAN with action through first-hand experience.
Tanya I agree with what you say about associating SAN to action through first hand experience. And I also like the advocacy and action idea.
On a different note,
I insist that we must get a trademark for the slogan so that in the long run SAN can grow without worrying about legalities. It is not necessary for a slogan to have a trademark but it is so much better in the long run I believe. I envision this organization growing very quickly. Also if a website is built exclusively for SAN (outside of the antioch university website) a trademark of the slogan will make it easier to decide what to name the website. A lot of movies that don't have the exact name of the film as domains, because there are many movies with the same name, use their slogans as the domain.
Robin Garcia and Tyler Daly were also in the early days of SAN. I'm sorry guys for not checking before blogging.
I think Andrea Richards, Rebecca, Michael Nee and I have lots of notes 'archives' of SAN minutes and it would be great to save them for the new librarian to help us with the historic aspect of SAN like Connie suggested in the last meeting.
I’m so glad Mindy and Michael invited me to attend a SAN meeting and that my school schedule allowed me to join.
It's been ages since I last went to a meeting so I thank you all for giving me the ‘right’ to blog and vote and to express my opinions. I hope you get the impression that although I’m not there physically I feel a strong connection to what you are all doing.
Congratulations on keeping this dream moving forward. I spoke to our first cohort of SAN members and they were all delighted to find out that so much is going on. I agree.
It was a pleasure to meet you all. Go SAN go!
P.S. Andrea and Don know how much "SAN opened doors for me to be engaged in change, Inside and Outside of Antioch..." (my dear speech editors, you rock)
Okay, here's my input on the slogan. I don't think we have to pick a slogan that is forever associated with SAN. But I do think we need a T shirt that identifies us beyond "SAN" because nobody outside of our group knows what that means. FYI we have permission to use "Bootcamp for the Revolution" if we want that. I would have Action, Awareness, Advocacy as a tag on the end of it.
To tell you honestly, what a T shirt says is what gets people's attention. I don't think we commit ourselves to anything if our T shirts encourage people to act. It's also the case that many of the slogan ideas, because they were written for the campus and not specifically for SAN, are more education oriented. I don't know that we want to go that route. If we're in the field, doing our community work, what do we want people to see associated with the Antioch name? Antioch as a community in action, right? I believe we can have different sayings associated with SAN as long as they all tap in to our core values and the work we try to do.
Andrea, I see what you're saying. Now I understand what you mean. I think you are right, people will associate what is written on the Tshirt to the voluntary work that SAN is doing. I think it will be similar to the AIDS walk tshirts, or at least that's what I'm understanding.
Post a Comment